Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Reach Granada

In a sort of anticlimactic way, I am now officially signed up to run the New York City Marathon. A friend introduced me to Reach Granada, one of the marathon's official charities. So over the coming months, I'll be asking friends to donate to this great cause and support my run.

I have always cringed at the idea of asking people to pay my way into a race, even if the money went to a worthy group. But after Boston, and reflecting on the twisted irony of victims losing legs at a marathon, a wave of gratefulness came over me. I have my health. I can run.

In many ways, the thankfulness of my physical condition reflects Reach Granada's mission, to improve the lives of abused and abandoned Granadian children.

I was fortunate to be born into a loving family with the means and desire to support me. I had the opportunity to truly do anything I could dream of. So to in a small way help those who didn't win the lottery of birth I did, and to do it via something I love to do, I said why not.

And oh by the way, I want to run a sub 3-hour marathon (current PR: 3:20). So here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment