Sunday, January 5, 2014

Family Bonding, Levy Fartleks

Mileage
Today: 6
Present: 865
Count: 118

After a long day of hauling our office up the hill, Maura and I drove out to Stockton to spend the night with my parents. We didn't exactly wake up early, but joined them on their morning run out on the levees.

Talk about flat.

We jogged the first half of the run all together, joined by their golden retriever Gracie. Turning off the levees to run along an irrigation ditch, my dad sped up and we ran together at around 7-minute miles for half a mile or so. He turned back with Gracie to run with the ladies and I turned it up, doing my best to hold sub 5 for as long as I could.

Didn't last long, but it felt good to open it up. I chased the dog and determined that she can out-sprint me. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about that though.

I circled back and hung with the family, winding through orchards and hearing stories of Pam being chased by coyotes. As we neared the final straightaway, electric poles dotted the right side of the trail about 50 yards apart. My dad took off at the first and when I caught up, he said he likes to sprint between them through the end of the run.

Almost 65 and he's still sprinting. Love it.

I hit my first pole and was off. I don't really open it up like that very much these days and wow. I was back up on my toes and for a split second felt like I was in high school again. I felt fast. Really fast. I kept waiting for my hamstrings to tear but they held together. Man it felt good to be running like that.

The next couple poles were fast, but not as fast as the first. Turns out somewhere deep down there, I may still have it.



No comments:

Post a Comment